Sunday, August 30, 2009

on the good ship lollipop

There's a "sold" sign on the house!! Ahhhh, sweet relief! There's still a long way to go, but it feels like a triumph after the seller's shenanigans. Or sellers'. Whatever. I'm confused about who does or does not own the house or who's lived there in the recent past. In any case:



Sweet tile backsplash!! I srsly love this tile. And the solid wood cabinets. The kitchen's kind of small, but eh...it's a small house overall. Which I appreciate. I hope I never become a person who takes up more space than she needs. Even this house is probably more than is "necessary"...but I think it's just the right amount for two people to be comfortable with once-in-a-while company.

Here's the other house that was a "finalist" in the home search:



That's a view from the back of the house, looking towards the front door. Awesome exposed brick wall and hardwood floors throughout. Behind where I'm standing is the kitchen and the back yard (which was really just a tiny stone patio...but since it's half a block from the park and river, we figured we could deal). The only problem was...that's the whole house. The downstairs is that one big-ish room and the kitchen. The upstairs is a bedroom, a large landing, and a bathroom. It's listed as a two-bedroom but it totally isn't. It'd be a GREAT house for one person, just not two. It also has a basement, but with a preeeeetty low ceiling. Still useful for storage. I hope someone cool buys it. It's been on the market for a while and has had the price reduced twice. Sooooo crazy affordable now. Oh, man. I could even buy it myself if I weren't co-buying already, that's how cheap it is. Based on the current owner's decorating and artifacts-on-display, she's a super cool lady. Sigh*

But back to [almost] OUR house...



That's the window on the landing of the stairs, which is visible from the front door. So you can see the gorgeous back yard all the way through. Swoooooon. When we went today, we noticed how quickly the plants back there have grown...there's going to be some serious pruning once we're legally allowed to do that.

But the first big project will be refinishing the floors. If anyone has good recommendations for a wood floor restoration company, I'm all ears. I've found a couple places in the area that give free estimates. I'd really like to use an independent contractor if possible.

In other news, we decided to do some premature shopping/scouting this afternoon, and ended up at a moving sale in Cool Springs. Turns out the lady selling all her stuff is the owner of the Dumpling House! Love that place!! Luckily, she's not leaving the area; her landlord has decided to sell the building and her two kids are now grown, so she's downsizing. Again: huzzah for not taking up more space than one needs. So great. Anyway, she had some stuff for sale, and big pile of kitchen gear for free!!

Earlier I'd made pancakes and had [once again] filled the apartment with smoke, due to my painfully lackluster pan. The thing is ridiculous. So I was feeling the need for better supplies, and all her stuff was/is professional-grade! So I got a couple of kitchen-to-table mixing bowls, a set of four Japanese soup bowls (all of my dishes are Ikea and breaking one by one), and a frying pan. I paid for a space heater (for the front/sun room at the house). The Foliage got a manual egg beater, a pizza cutter, and a garlic press/hand grater. We "co-got" a half-copper, half-stainless steel saucepan. Which I used to make sauce tonight. And added too much garlic salt at the last minute. Maybe I'll heat up the leftovers again and add some wine vinegar or something. But all that kitchen stuff was totally free! Score!!!

It's becoming glaringly obvious how different our tastes are. There are some things we both reeeeally like, but for the most part...there's a lot of compromise on both sides to agree on aesthetics. I describe his taste as "Tribal Contemporary" and mine as "Updated Retro/Luxe"...plus some Rustic. Plus some Stuff-That-Makes-No-Sense. I just...I want antlers. And I love stuff that looks like it was salvaged from a 1970s TV show set. I know. I.know.

Things we agree on:
-Refinishing the floors
-"Bumping out" the window in the kitchen to make it a bay window
-Finishing the basement (it's half-finished now, and there's really no reason to have the whole unfinished side just sitting there...it'd be a great den space)
-A hard-to-explain plan for having the TV in the living room but hiding it (I looooooathe room layouts that have the TV as the central viewpoint. I want the TV to essentially be invisible unless people are actually sitting and watching it, and an entertainment center would really swamp the room)
-Other stuff. Including a down-the-road bathroom renovation involving these.

The inspection's tomorrow. I'm sure that'll give rise to a whole new wish list. I seriously doubt the sellers will want to do assist with anything.

Sorry this is allllll I talk about anymore...I'm boring. You don't have to tell me. But this has been the only thing I've thought about in the past few weeks other than my exams. Oh! I made my mom a surprise birthday dinner at the house. The menu was:
-Baby Back Ribs
-Roasted Green Beans
-Spicy Southwest Tamale Pie
-Honeyed Carrots
-Berry Cobbler and Vanilla Ice Cream

And everything was ready at exactly the right times! And everything tasted great! I wouldn't say amazing. But pretty effing good. And I did it pretty cheaply, too. Honestly, if it had tasted mediocre, I wouldn't care...I'm just still so thrilled that things were done at the same time. That NEVER happens for me.

Now you'll have to excuse me while I flip through my pictures of the house for the fifty bazillionth time...

1 comment:

Swiss Miss said...

Dinner was excellent.