Thursday, April 22, 2010

well come on come on come on OH COME ON

Earth Dayyyyy!!! I was all "meh" about it earlier, because it is such a made-up holiday. But then I remembered that all of our holidays were made up at some point and reminded myself that I love excuses to celebrate. And now I'm sad I didn't plan a party for it. Oh, well.


In honor of Earth Day, a couple of excerpts from the book I'm reading, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (and her daughter and husband):

"If every U.S. citizen ate just one meal a week (any meal) composed of locally and organically raised meats and produce, we would reduce our country's oil consumption by over 1.1 million barrels of oil every week."

"the conspicuous consumption of limited resources has yet to be accepted widely as a spiritual error, or even bad manners"

"When we traded homemaking for careers, we were implicitly promised economic independence and worldly influence. But a devil of a bargain it has turned out to be in terms of daily life. We gave up the aroma of warm bread rising, the measured pace of nurturing routines, the creative task of molding our families' tastes and zest for life; we received in exchange the minivan and the Lunchable."


Srsly, Lunchables are disgusting. And SO overpriced. Oh, man. I remember begging for them when my poor mother would drag the four of us to the grocery store (FOUR!! GAH!!!), and the answer was always "no." Sometimes (OK, most of the time) she wouldn't even acknowledge the question. Too much salt. Too little food in that package. Do you even have to ask anymore? Go get a loaf of wheat bread and quit trying to sneak the Ham and Cheese into the cart. I'm sorry I ever had you.

That last one might be an editorialization.

Anyway, this book is INCREDIBLE!! I have so many pages dog-eared for reference and I'm not even halfway through yet. The fact that I already held most of the beliefs she touts proooobably helps, but the sidebars of recipes and environmental/food-industry statistics just really...sigh* It's an amazing book. Read it. Immediately. While there's still some time to plant things. Because you WILL want to garden after reading this thing.

No comments: