Friday, May 7, 2010

girl, interrupted

So after I posted yesterday, I realized that my VERY FIRST wedding-related post was mostly negative. And that's no good. I really and truly had drafted a very upbeat "here's how we got to where we are" entry a few days ago, but wanted to add pictures before I posted it. Then I got frustrated and overwhelmed when I still didn't have any of the pictures, and ended up posting my rant. Pre-rave. Shameful.

Also, I'm comfortable with posting wedding stuff here, because pretty much all of my readers are invitees. And I really need to vent about wedding things somewhere more neutral than, say, to my party-planning mother, or my party-planning BFF...or my frequently overwhelmed fiance.

I LOVE having a fiance. So. Here we are. And I am thrilled.

I (again!) don't have my OWN pictures to show you, but I figured I could post about the saga of the ring.

Some time over a year ago, I fell in love with The Nest Ring:

But I made the mistake of telling The Foliage that it didn't look very "engagementy" to me. Ugh. So then he REFUSED to get that ring. Enter ennui.

Just for the record, I told him not to even get me a ring. I'm not a jewelry kinda girl. I lose 1/2 of every pair of earrings, ever. Necklaces get caught in my hair. When I wear bracelets, I feel like something's holding me down. So why get me an engagement ring? I also told him that once we're married, I just want to wear a very plain band. Only. No more engagement ring. And that if he DID get me an engagement ring, I couldn't be expected to wear it every day of our engagement.

Yeah, so I'm a big pain in the tuckus. What of it? You wanna fight over it? I said up front that I didn't want a frickin' ring!! I told him he should save up the amount he WOULD've spent on a ring, and put that towards the engagement party or the overall wedding budget.

But no. That is not how The Foliage rolls.

I was forced to try and fall in love with other rings. This one was a big contender:


Love the cushion cut. Love the color and size of the stone (I may not be a jewelry girl, but if I'm going to wear a rock, I'm going to wear a ROCK). Love the white gold. Love the thin band. I sent The Foliage this picture many, many times.

So the night before we were going to go to Mexico, trying to kill some time, we went to a mall to wander around. We'd talked about our mental timelines for engagement and marriage and things, and had discussed trying on rings, because it's one thing to like a picture of a piece of jewelry, and entirely another thing to like it ON yourself. There were a few jewelry stores at the mall, so we wandered into a few. One of them had a ring very similar to the picture above. I put it on and...meh. It was just so...not me. It was so BRIGHT and WHITE WHITE GOLD and OOOOOH BLUUUUUUUE. It felt like a beacon on my hand. Which is great for a cocktail ring, not so much the ring that I'd be wearing [nearly] every day for the duration of our engagement.

That same store had another ring that sort of came out of left field. And now I can't find a picture of anything similar online.
-Rose gold band
-Green amethyst princess-cut stone (between 1 and 2 carats, I think)
-Center stone surrounded by tiny champagne diamonds.

Whoa. In the case it looked like nothing, but then I put it on...and we both did a double-take. It was like my hand was just sparkling. In a really subtle, natural way. Oh, man. Love!!!

While we were in Mexico (specifically Cozumel, because holy moly, that whole island is like one big mall) we looked at some more rings, but were never blown away. And, to this day, I haven't seen another ring like the rose gold/green amethyst one.

Then we came back from vacation, and The Foliage noticed this online:

Is that The Nest Ring, but in engagement ring form?! By golly, I think it is!

Over New Year's Eve weekend, we were in New York with The Foliage's friends. He got HORRIBLE food poisoning. Seriously...awful. It was painful to know what he was going through without being able to help in any way. On the last day of the weekend, though, we'd planned to go into the city. I kept saying, "Babe, let's go home. You really need to rest. I don't need to go into the city THAT badly." But he kept insisting. Eventually he cracked and told me he'd arranged for us to meet with the designer of The Nest Ring!! So I shut right up.

It was SO FRICKIN' COLD. Do you remember this past New Year's? Do you?! Well we took the Staten Island Ferry, and the second we were off, hightailed it to Century 21 for discount cold weather gear. Yeesh. It should have been illegal to be outside that weekend. Ridiculous.

But we pressed on!

That evening, we wandered over to Brooklyn to meet up with Jennifer at her husband's restaurant, Flatbush Farm. Ohhhhh it was so good, and at least one room in my life will be designed as an almost-direct replica of the bar area. Someday. I'm going to have a lot of tribute rooms in my life, I think.

Anyway, she brought both versions of the ring for me to try on. So fabulous. Oh, goodness. Oh, good heavens. Oh, latent jewelry lover in me. Sheer fabulousness. What else did she bring? Ummm their insanely cute daughter, Pepper!! Seriously, I almost stole this kid. She is the cutest baby I have EVER seen (sorry, friends with babies...meet Pepper and I defy you to not agree with me...your babies are still wicked cute, though). I could babble about Pepper all day. So I'll stop. For now.

If you weren't impressed by the picture of the engagement ring version, don't worry, I wasn't either. But the ring in person...ohhhhhh dear sweet heart palpitations. It is so.so.lovely. in real life. I can't even explain it to you in words. We knew, though, that 4 birds on one ring would be a little much for yours truly. The number of bands (12) also made the overall width a little much for an engagement ring. SO. We reduced the number of bands to 6, the number of birds to 2, the metal to rose gold, and The Foliage was to choose a green stone to go in the ring. Or have Jennifer find ones for him to choose from.


Like so.

Apparently, this is such a process, that he actually (unbeknownst to me) went to New York last Wednesday (the 28th), and spent all day up there dealing with this, and getting the final details hammered out.

And the next day I proposed.

But that's another story for another post.

HOPEfully we'll be able to pick up the ring next weekend. Who knew? The girl who didn't like jewelry all of a sudden feels like she can't LIVE without a ring. Weird.

No comments: