Wednesday, July 14, 2010

plug a lug

Here's what I picked up yesterday in the Farm Share delivery:



Note: I took all the pictures in this post with my iPhone.

Clockwise from the top:
-Plums (our first fruit share delivery!), 1 pint? Ish? Bag weighs about 1.5-2 pounds.
-Detroit Red Beets
-Cherry Tomatoes
-Yellow Onions
-Cucumbers, 1 pint
-Zucchini
-Red Potatoes, 2 pounds

More Different Note: Scroll to the bottom of this post for information about joining the Lancaster CSA mid-season!

My Ship (the 50% of my best friends who doesn't care about books unless they detail Victoria Beckham's thoughts on blue jeans as they pertain to life) came over to catch up and have dinner last night.

In addition to the stuff we got in our share this week, I still had a lot of vegetables left from prior week's shares, but I really didn't want to bother with potentially spoiled produce. (Haven't had a chance to do a full fridge-eval since getting back Sunday night.) However! Some of the leftover produce in my kitchen was potatoes! Like, 4 pounds of potatoes. And they were totally fine. Sweet! I also went out to the garden and picked some ripe green beans. We used to have more, but the nasturtium is going NUTS and choking everything but the tomatoes.

So I made Rosemary Roasted Potatoes and MadeUp Salad.

From Food 7/13/10


For the potatoes:
-2 pounds potatoes, chopped into bite-size pieces
-1/2 cup olive oil
-5 or 6 cloves of garlic, minced
-2 tablespoons rosemary, chopped

Boil the potatoes in salted water until just fork-tender. Drain well, then toss with remaining ingredients. Spread in even layer on baking sheet and cook at 375F for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.

From Food 7/13/10


For the salad:
-1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
-Handful green beans, roughly chopped
-1/2 yellow onion, minced
-1 cucumber, quartered and sliced
-1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

Toss together. It's best to let it sit for a few minutes to let the vinegar soak in. Before I packed up the leftovers, I tore up a few (7? Maybe?) basil leaves from a potted plant in the dining room and threw those in, too.

From Food 7/13/10


It was pretty derish. And it worked out perfectly! Ship loved it, and The Foliage totes hates cucumbers and tomatoes! Word.

My next challenge: the plums.

From Food 7/13/10


I've never used plums before. I've hardly even eaten them. And these are so small I thought maybe the CSA people had misplaced their meds and had actually given me cherries. But then I ate one and realized I shouldn't doubt people who devote their lives to farm cooperatives. They're about the size of cherry tomatoes and are mildly tart at the center, surrounding the pit.

This Friday we're going to Philadelphia for Shabbat dinner at The Foliage's aunt and uncle's house. I'm thinking I'll make a dessert with these to take with us. But I really have NO experience with them whatsoever. And whatever I make will have to be 100% dairy-free since it'll be a fleishik meal. I'm going to look up some options, but suggestions are appreciated!

If you want to join the Lancaster Farm Fresh CSA for the remainder of the 2010 season:

-Go here to see whether there is a location you can get to easily each week.
-Click "CSA" and then "sign in" to create a new account
-Send your payment
-Start picking up deliciousness and stop worrying about questionable grocery store produce!

August Start: (17 weeks of produce)
Vegetable Full Share $471 (7 to 12 items per week) = $27.71/week
Vegetable Half Share $288 (4 to 9 items per week) = $16.94/week (this is what we have!)
Fruit Share $102 (one to two varieties of seasonal fruit per week) = $6.00/week

The person who sent me the information above also said:

"To begin receiving a share in August, they should fill out an application before July 23rd. After that date, we will begin accepting applications for September. We will not be able to process orders until we receive payment (postmarked by July 23rd)."

"Although the invoice will read the full amount for each type of share, they should only pay the prorated amount. We can help out with this as needed. Checks should be make out to Lancaster Farm Fresh Cooperative and mailed to Lancaster Farm Fresh Cooperative, Attention: CSA. 48 Eagle Drive, Leola, PA 17540. I hope this helps and please feel free to email back or call us at (717) 656-3533 with any questions."

And remember that if you're not in this area, there is probably a CSA near you, and they might have a mid-season start option as well.

No comments: