Tuesday, August 24, 2010

if it weren't for my horse i would've never spent that year in college

I went on my first official wedding dress shopping trip this past Saturday with my mom, two of my sisters, and one of my future sisters in law. It was a weird experience. And the fact that my stomach hurt like a banshee probably didn't help.

But I don't want to talk about that.

We went to two salons, and at the first one, a woman girl had just found her dress. THE dress. And oh MAN was she ever excited. As were all of her Hollister-bedecked girlfriends.

It was just about the ugliest dress I've ever seen. Luckily, I found a picture online. You are WELCOME.


On the website it doesn't look so bad. But trust me. It is atrocious. A teeeeeny tiny itsy bitsy bodice that looks like chain mail (it's "platinum" NOT "champagne"...apparently a very important distinction), attached to shredded silk* formed into a gigantic spherical poof. Which retails for more than $5,000. That's in American dollars. Yeah.

Of course the attendant was excited as well. The customer "saved" a ton and ONLY spent just under $3,000. I don't know what the commission rates are like up in that piece, but the lady helping her cared a lot less when I very clearly was not going to buy anything there. Thanks chick with horrible taste!

Said chick also looked a LOT like that Mormon girl who was on the Real World that one time.


There's really no point to this. Wedding dress shopping is really, really weird. And it confirmed what I already knew: I don't like talking with salespeople; and I look awesome in formalwear. Noted.

*For the record, I really like the shredded silk tiers look. I loved a Marisa gown that was entirely raw-edged silk tiers. But it's weird when it's shaped to look like a snowball snack. And attached to a miniature sweetheart-neckline wrought from iron. 

No comments: