Wednesday, September 15, 2010

lay your weary head to rest (don't you cry no more)

I'm totally on A Practical Wedding!!! And by that I mean I'm in the back of a single picture, in a post composed almost entirely of pictures. I should probably just post the picture I've linked, but GEEZ I've linked it twice now. That just seems redundant. Click on the stupid things. I'll post a different picture. Hey, here's a good one:

Love.these.

In other wedding-related news, I'm gonna go to this next month with my mom and grandmother. I've never been to such a debacle, but that Sunday I'm [supposedly] running the Army Ten-Miler. It might be the most exhausting weekend of my life. I'll let you know.

But enough about the wedding.

Today we got a bureau!


Some people in a GAH-HA-HORGEOUS house in DC sold it to us for $50 after listing it on CraigsList.  The wife's parents had bought the bedroom set in 1953, and aside from the lower left handle (which is in the drawer and just needs new screws...they called us "handy" because we didn't balk at the idea of buying screws...unbelievable) this bureau is in amazing condition. Also the dimensions are perfect for our room. So is the color. And it was $50 (in case you didn't read that before). As in, the amount we almost paid for a clunky, beat-up dresser with drug-smoking-implements in the bottom drawer, which we found at the thrift store. The owners just had a tablecloth over it, and were using it as a table in their living room! How did they underestimate this absolute gem?! Color me baffled.

It really is the little victories. And whatever they're doing must be right, because somehow they can afford to own one of the most stunningly gorgeous houses I've ever entered legally.

Also I totes rearranged the furniture all by my lonesome, which made me feel all sorts of powerful. In middle and high school, I was pretty much an insomniac, and I'd rearrange my room several nights per week. Instead of sleeping. You'd be surprised how many ways you can configure a twin bed, a bureau, and a desk in a 10'x10' space. My parents' bedroom was below mine. They would not be surprised. In fact, they probably know exactly how many ways my room was arranged. Sorry, Mom and Dad.

Back to running: I should do that. And soon. I have 40 days to train my legs to run 10 miles. All at one time. My legs are scared.

Back to the APW meet-up: it was awesome. You know how when you're an adult it's really hard to meet people you actually want to talk to for an extended period of time? Go to an APW meet-up. Problem solved. You think I'm kidding. I am so not kidding.

Back to LIFE: Jaykay, I have nothing to say about life. It goes on.

Read this. Immediately. And that's all I have to say about that.

I just showed this poem (which I came across on APW) to Leaf, as something to maybe put in our wedding programs somewhere


From STILL LIFE WITH WOODPECKER
-–Tom Robbins
Who knows how to make love stay?
1. Tell love you are going to Junior’s Deli on Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn to pick up a cheesecake, and if love stays, it can have half. It will stay.
2. Tell love you want a memento of it and obtain a lock of its hair. Burn the hair in a dime-store incense burner with yin/yang symbols on three sides. Face southwest. Talk fast over the burning hair in a convincingly exotic language. Remove the ashes of the burnt hair and use them to paint a mustache on your face. Find love. Tell it you are someone new. It will stay.
3. Wake love up in the middle of the night. Tell it the world is on fire. Dash to the bedroom window and pee out of it. Casually return to bed and assure love that everything is going to be all right. Fall asleep. Love will be there in the morning.
He said if I did the second one, love would probably not stay. Call off the d*mn wedding.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Surprising. I would think that 2 would be somewhat acceptable. However, 3 would be my breaking point. If charlie ever wakes me up to warn me of impending death by fire and then merely PEES out the window, I am at least packing my pillow and blanket and heading to the office until morning.

ceejus said...

I was also pretty surprised that he went with the second over the third. Maybe he wants to see me urinate. In which case the wedding is still off.