Thursday, December 16, 2010

media blitz

Here's stuff that has entered my life lately that I thought I should mention to you:

Source

"The Warrior's Way"

Didn't suck. The first 5 minutes were really overly stylized, and I expected the rest of the movie to be the same, but then the rest of the movie was totally over stylized in a completely different way. It was cool to see on a big screen. And the setting was a deteriorating carnival which is, like, our wedding theme (if you can really call it a theme). Oh, and Geoffrey Rush was in it. And I'll watch just about anything with Geoffrey Rush. Seriously. But then they intentionally destroyed the ferris wheel and my soul cried.

Source

"Love and Other Drugs"

Hello, left field!! No one warned me about the ACTUAL theme of this movie, and holy crap. It's pretty good stuff. Also, if you were ever curious about Anne Hathaway's boobs or Jake Gyllenhaal's butt, this is the movie for you. They both got pleeeeenty of screen time. His character's brother was my favorite party by far. Best. Comic. Relief. In a drama. Ever.

Source

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

F*ck Tom Sawyer. No, really. F*ck that guy. I hate that guy. He's like the Zack Morris of the post-Civil War South. Hate.

Source

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

OH. MY. GAWD. This book totally blew my mind. This is the third book in my life to drastically challenge/alter my worldview. The other two are The Poisonwood Bible and A Clockwork Orange. After reading several critiques online I recognized how some misogynistic overtones could be noted, but I really think the people who complained of that were missing the point. Which was, is crazy good or bad? What is crazy? Does any system have the capability to "fix" it without killing its host? And other stuff. There's a lot in this book. For the first three quarters I dreaded picking it up, because every page felt so bogged down with dread. But then the last quarter hit me like a ton of bricks. Please read it. Like, two years ago. And then let's talk about how much I want to hijack a fishing boat.

Source

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"

The movie and the book. The Swedish movie, obviously. Pretty much the best film representation of a book I've ever seen. Nearly everything was just as I imagined it would be. You may remember we tried to audiobook this ish over the summer and it didn't work out. Reading was much better. Again, it took me a while to get into it, but then I could NOT put it down. Not necessarily the best thing I've ever read, but intensely compelling.

Source

Now reading: The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver. I wanted to get this a few weeks ago at Barnes & Noble. The Foliage was asking the staff all sorts of questions about the Kindling or Crevice or whatever that newfangled reader dealie is, and I stumbled upon this nearby. A new Kingsolver novel?! Seriously? What has happened in my life that she's published a book and I've been 100% unaware of it? For. Shame. So I asked him if I could get it (because I still wasn't working so he was the cash source and eyeroll whateverrrrrrr) and he asked if I had the money. Which of course I did not. Because, um, hi, I wasn't working for 4 months. So I put it back. But then he got it for me and surprised me with it when he picked me up from work one night. Which was awesome! So now I'm reading it. And, man. I just love her. I feel like most famous people I admire (see: Bonnie Hunt) I could hang out with and be totally fine. Barbara Kingsolver? If I saw her on the street, I'd dissolve into a puddle of non-English and drool. I would ugly cry. And then I'd be all, "if you give me a plant, I swear on my hair I won't thank you for it."

I really miss high school English classes.

3 comments:

Leah said...

1. I feel so lazy for only reading the crappy romance novels I got for free during my workouts.
2. I feel so overwhelmed by my lack of awareness of um, all but 2of these items.
3. I feel the need to see you ugly cry. Also, what kind of plant do you not what to thank her for?

That's all.... Oh, and I miss you and your random posts.

Thanks for making my day!

ceejus said...

1. You should get audiobooks! Download them and listen while you run outside, or get CD versions and play them while you're on the elliptical or something. I love! Also, riding the metro to and from work every day is the best thing ever. For my reading, not my punctuality. Stuck on a train for 50 minutes each day? Herrow, perfect excuse for Christine-time!

2. Meh. Don't worry about it. Now you're aware.

3. No you don't. You really don't. I even avoid emotional topics with Leaf because I don't want HIM to see me ugly cry, and he's pretty much contractually bound to see it on roughly a semiannual basis. In her book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" she explained how rural Virginians thought it was bad luck to say "thank you" upon receiving a plant. They would say "well, look at that" or something similar instead. I guess they thought it would be assuming the plant fruitful, which would bring bad luck. Very superstitious.

Train said...

ugh i'm so glad you finallly read the girl with the dragon tattoo... I have the next one if you want to borrow it... at least I think I do... it might not have gotten picked up in the great hungover apartment rummage of 2010

and after seeing the movie i've completely decided against seeing the US version cause I know it will be terrilbe in comparison.