Wednesday, January 26, 2011

i'm leaving on a jet plane...possibly

I go through phases where I don't think about the honeymoon at all. In my mind, it's this distant or imaginary land we'll never actually see. We just like to dream about it. So we come up with all kinds of dreams. Dreams where we drive and camp. Dreams where we wait until the last minute and book what looks good (and cheap). Dreams where we have a nearly-deserted island to ourselves in the Mediterranean, and then explore ancient European streets.

But then something reminds me that it is NOT a made-up thing. That it will most definitely be happening, that it will most definitely be happening in just over 7 months*, and that it is going to cost us money. A lot of money.

It's been suggested to wait and go on a honeymoon later, but...I just don't want to. I want to go AWAY with my SPOUSE immediately after all the wedding stuff is FINALLY done. And we'll probably be broke (or knocked up...or both) in 2012, so we don't want to put off taking a supercrazygonutsawesome trip.

September is apparently tropical storm season, so we've ruled out the Caribbean and Thailand. And we've been to Cancun (and will be going again in May for The Foliage's brother's wedding), so we're really fine not doing the lay-on-a-white-sandy-beach-thing. But we do want the option of relaxing. Ye olde fiance loves playing in the surf, so being near a swimmable body of water is ideal. We keep warming up to and retreating from the idea of a cruise, which would enable us to visit several coastal cities in one trip.

Bottom line: we're thinking of getting a travel agent. I went to the Unveiled bridal show this past weekend with My Ship, and I spoke briefly with a representative from Perfect Honeymoons. She advised (probably a sales tactic, but it's not untrue) that waiting to book is risky since Labor Day Weekend is so popular for travel. Her company takes your budget, your likes and dislikes, and then presents you with 3 itineraries, and their fees are built into the total cost. Then they take care of all of it. Which sounds di.vine. And if I don't have to SEE their fees, I don't have to KNOW about their fees, and I can feel awesome. And we'd only have to pick from 3 plans, rather than building a 2 week vacation from scratch, considering every place on the globe.

I follow this blog already and am thinking about emailing them for a proposal. Does anyone have any other good places to check?


*Oh. My. GAWD. 7 months!!!

No comments: