Monday, February 28, 2011

show me what democracy looks like THIS IS WHAT DEMOCRACY LOOKS LIKE

I knew my telemarketing experience was useful before, but...I never knew HOW useful it would be. I can handle angry voters better than any of the experienced organizers out here. The first night I was here, I was calling people who had signed in with us at a town meeting. The last person I dialed, though, apparently signed the wrong sheet. Because he was very much not a supporter. And he berated me for almost 15 minutes. Did he make his views known in the town meeting? No. Because, according to him, that would've been suicide. But screaming at a person he doesn't know over the phone? That's totally fine. And absolutely effective. All I could do was to encourage him to take an active role in democracy, that is when I could get a word in edgewise. And if I hadn't had the experience of cold-calling credit card leads, and their very. mean. rejections. it would've been rough.

So thanks, telemarketing. You just accidentally backed the fight to keep collective bargaining rights. I bet you're thrilled.

No comments: