Monday, April 11, 2011

are you smarter than a _th grader?

When I was in the 6th grade, my teacher got mad at the class for being too loud one day, so he assigned us each to write 1,000 words on the value of quiet. And it was hard. I had NO idea how the other kids were doing it. I pretty much wrote, "I'm sorry we were being loud. Quiet is important for reflection and learning." And then I changed the "I'm" to "I am." And then I counted up the words and muttered curses to myself.

It took me ALL. DAY. and eventually I started just writing things like, "Look, I have nothing else to say on the subject, so I'm just going to start rambling. Don't take any of the following seriously." And ended up putting something down about how forced silence was forced compliance and censorship or something like that. I didn't even get to the 1,000 word mark, even with my phony anarchist ramblings.

And the next day, he read that phony anarchist rambling to the class, and looked at me pointedly, and was SUPER defensive about it. And I was all, "I'm not a nutjob, I was just trying to fill up space on the page!" But it didn't matter. I was the 6th grade's true blue nutjob anyway.

I'm still bitter about this.

No comments: