Tuesday, May 3, 2011

series i have mocked that i really want to experience

So I'm pretty judgy when it comes to popular media. I tend to resent things that EEEEEVERYONE else knows and just fawns over continually. Often because this fawning happens completely out of left field when HELLO we were totally co-enjoying this other thing like 5 minutes ago! And I'm kind of an attention whore. And things I know nothing about totally steal my spotlight of knowing stuff.

But whining and jealousy aside, here are the series that I'm really curious about. I think I'm finally grown-up enough to be able to admit to my adoration of most lame things. I think. We'll see.

1. Twilight

Ugh shut up. I don't even want to hear it. I've been such a douche about Twilight, but UGH. That's primarily because I was so the loser kid who was alllll about vampires in my tween years. And that sh*t got me MOCKED. But all of a sudden, Stephenie Meyer comes out of the woodwork, with her misspelled name, and vampires are cool? SERIOUSLY?

Ever since this ish got big, I've been wallowing in resentment. Oh, sure, modern teenagers. Live it up. You will never know the pain of wanting to read the Anne Rice books so badddddd in the school library, but choosing something mundane and impossible to ridicule instead. I hope you're enjoying your freedom. Also, if there's something you love now, that's considered uber-lame? Turn it into a set of novels and strike it RICH in 15 years. Heads up: Shelly Duvall and Renaissance everything are about to come back in a BIG way. Probably. If this trend of being wayyyy accidentally ahead of the curve continues in my life.

So I want to read all the books AND THEN see the movies. And then if anyone hosts a Twiparty, I am SO THERE because I lurve parties and I'll be able to comment on current events, like Jacob's partially open shirt on page 279.

2. True Blood

Pretty much the same as that last one. Except southern accents kind of really annoy me. But LORD those people are attractive, so I can probably get over it.

3. Harry Potter

The Foliage and I are watching all the movies this week so we can see the finale in theatres, because it looks crazy epic. I gave my sisters a really hard time about this series, but come on. It's really hard to NOT mock your siblings when you all live at home and they're crazy about something, no? Especially when it's more than one of them. I can't be the only one who's experienced this...

Anyway, the movies are pretty brilliant, and I'd like to read the books to get more of the detail and nuances. 

4. Spartacus: Blood and Sand

My betrothed is telling me I wanted to watch this miniseries. I have no recollection of saying any such thing, but my memory kind of sucks, and I wouldn't be surprised if he'd FINALLY figured out that he could easily manipulate that to his advantage. Maybe tomorrow he'll tell me that I reeeeeeally wanted to watch the Fast and the Furious movies. Spoiler alert: I didn't. Ever.

5. Lost

I didn't watch this when it was on because initially it just didn't look that interesting, and then later when it DID look interesting, all I ever heard from people was that it was super addictive. And I didn't want to start watching and have to deal with the WAITING. Once I'm into something, I'm in, and I need to finish it. So I've purposefully waited until it was off the air. And now it's been off the air for a year or so I guess, and I still haven't watched it. But I've gotten surprisingly few details about the show. Hopefully this coming winter will be a snowy one and we'll be able to hole up and watch it all at once. INTENSE. Loves.

I'm sure there are others, but that's all I can remember for now. I've already got the first book of The Hunger Games so at least I won't be left behind on that one. Finally, a win!

5 comments:

SnowWhiteminus3 said...

I have Season One of True Blood if you'd like to borrow it. I will have Seasons 2 and 3 as soon as I'm done buying equipment for this dumb triathlon.

Someone still needs to let me know why I need special shoes to ride a bike...

RachEL said...

hahaha oh man, I didn't even have that level of nerd-awareness in high school, definitely sat there reading anne rice in plain view. probably because I was more interested in flirting with my english teacher than making friends. woops. (gross now, but made total sense at the time. he was dreamy in that conventionally-unattractive-40-year-old-man way. and thank god this was all in my head, I got zero encourage from him, there was no flirting. I was just a weirdo with daddy issues. aaand moving on). anyway anne rice! yes! one of my many manymany reasons for avoiding Twilight, I'm a pretty big snob when it comes to vampires (in Twilight, did you know, they don't die from being exposed to sunlight. They just SPARKLE. WHAT.). I don't think I will ever cave on this one, at least as far as reading the books. I might be up for a viewing party as long as it involved lots of being drunk and making fun of it. what I've heard of the storyline makes my inner uber-feminist turn rageful. so. I'm not really behind you on this one.

BUT. harry potter. yes. I caved on this one a while ago and the books are way way better than the movies. I think you will like.

True Blood is easy to get addicted to if you have the seasons on DVD. every episode is a cliff-hanger so if you have an empty saturday yawning in front of you, it can be difficult to turn it off. I didn't get past the first season, but I've heard it gets a bit carazayyy.

Leah said...

Let's be friends, k?

UseYourWords said...

My recommendation for Twilight is to jump straight to the fourth book - I was not about to plow through three others before getting to the sexy times (c'mon, that's the whole damn point of the series, don't pretend). I have watched all the movies, though. They are awful and silly and excellent guilty pleasures. Feminist, not so much - but I think being utterly indignant about Meyer's politics is weirdly part of what I enjoy.

Also I kiiiiiind of snorted out loud at the suggestion of more "nuance" in the HP books vs. movies. Don't get me wrong, I've read them all cover-to-cover, and they were truly great fun, probably more so than the movies. Buuuut reading them felt a bit like watching movies in book form - with all the attendant episodic structure and hit-you-over-the-head-repeatedly moments. Absolutely worth it!

Finally, RachEL - TOTES with you on the English teacher thing. No shame!

ceejus said...

JRo YES I would love to borrow! I'm just debating whether or not I want to wait until it's for SURE done, because I really like watching TV shows all at once. But I don't know how long I'd have to wait in that case.

Leah...are you talking to me or Rachel? Also...Rachel and Leah. Ha! Ha. I'm so lame.

Rachel and MICHELLE you guys are hirar. I never had an English teach crush, but I don't think I ever had a male English teacher. I think if I had, I would've dreamt unholy things about him. And we totally need to have a sarcastic TwiParty.

Also, a vampire that sparkles in sunlight = not a vampire. Ferrealz.