Monday, May 2, 2011

uh-MARE-ickuah...you know the rest

So many conflicting feelings tonight. I keep remembering the images we watched over and over and over when 9/11 happened. The cloud of glass and debris and dust rolling around the sides of skyscrapers and chasing terrified New Yorkers down otherwise abandoned streets. That's not something I'll ever forget.

I'm SO GLAD Obama gets to be the leader that celebrates this win. But I feel weird for being so jubilant about a human being's death. Even if that human being was directly responsible for so much pain and suffering. Someone on CNN compared Osama Bin Laden's death to the fall of the Berlin Wall, and...I see the symbolic similarities, but tearing down a wall is not the same as shooting a person in the head. Really. I don't know what alternatives were available; probably none. I'm not a political strategist. I'm just someone who's never been in a position to take another person's life.

I feel so proud of our military, and I'm happy that America gets to have a major win. I hope this brings some peace to people affected by the 2001 attacks that have never felt like they've received any justice. But I'm not worthy to judge a person deserving of death, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a little icky about all the merriment for an old man being hunted down and shot.

7 comments:

RachEL said...

oh my, thanks for putting my feelings into words! I couldn't quite put my finger on my unease watching the news this morning. that's it exactly.

ceejus said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I was really nervous that I'd get mad of them angry backlash.

Leah said...

Despite my jubilant FB status, I feel the same way. So sad that it has to come to an end this way. But thankful that at least some peace can be derived.

ceejus said...

Yeah, I'm really curious to see how Al Qaeda proceeds after this. The Foliage and I were both getting frustrated with all the, "it's over!!!" rejoicing on the news last night. Dude recruited a LOT of people to believe what he believed vehemently. They're not just going to disappear. Though that would be soooooo nice.

Sarah said...

Alright, let's try this again.

I'm so conflicted about all of this. One the one hand, I CANNOT celebrate the death of a man, no matter how evil I (and/or others) think him to be. But at the same time, as someone who lived it? Who lost friends to it? It just feels a bit like justice for those that never came home properly ... be that in body, or mentally.

That being said, the college kids swarming the White House cheering and singing just made me sick to my stomach. Way to miss the point, guys. From what I hear, the atmosphere at Ground Zero was VASTLY different, with families of the victims having a bit of a memorial ... and finding some closure.

One thing that kept coming to mind while watching the mob here in DC ... none of these kids are old enough to really understand it (with the exception of those who were in NYC on 9/11). They were just children at the time. I mean, just as we were coming into adulthood, our sense of security was ripped away, and we were plunged into the first realization, since Pearl Harbor, that the US isn't untouchable. They are the age now that we were then ... and we're back to the US being the big bad invincible power. It's no wonder their perception is so warped.

All the same ... it makes me sad to see how all this is being treated without the gravity it so deserves.

ceejus said...

I totally agree about the conflicting opinions, but I still kind of wanted to go to the White House last night. If only because it's nice to see ANY large-scale showing of patriotism in this country. I haven't seen such solidarity from US citizens SINCE 9/11, in fact. There'll probably always been a discrepancy between the people who are quietly reverent, and those that are LOUD and PROUD.

I haven't talked to my youngest sister (who is now in college and was 8 at the time of the attacks) about it yet, but I know she's pretty glib about the whole thing, judging from her FB activity. I guess that's just the way history goes. I hope she never has to see the same kind of devastation we did, and have this hesitation when resolution comes 10 years later. In a way, I'm jealous of how little she can care.

Really, I don't know how I want this to be recognized. Someone I know posted something to the effect of, "Don't mess with the US!" online, and all I could think was, "...it took us TEN YEARS to find ONE GUY...so the message is really, 'Don't mess with the US if you only want to live, strongly influencing tens of thousands of lives, for another decade.'"

Basically, I'm still vacillating between pride and pity. I'll let you know how it pans out.

SnowWhiteminus3 said...

I totally and completely agree. Even about the icky feeling.