Thursday, July 21, 2011

this is why conservatives always win you guys

My work email account is hosted by Google. So is my regular-life account. And my friend Jimena taught me how to use both at the same time, BUT I can't use Blogger if I'm logged into more than one account at a time. This is KILLING my blogproductivity. And, contrary to what you might expect, it's not doing wonders for my workproductivity. That's pretty much the same. "The same" meaning "totally awesome as usual" here. Of course.

Anyway.

Last night, The Foliage and I met up with a few of his family members at the DC United Game. At one point, we went with his dad Marty to get food and drinks. Read: Marty and I wanted Vodka Lemonades and also The Foliage thought maybe I should also have some solid food. So Marty and I went off in search of the booze kiosk.

Once we found it and were in line, Marty spotted a guy with a really strange shirt on.

"Does that guy's shirt say 'End Fair Trade'?"
"Umm...huh...it does look that way..."

Brace for the punchline: yeah. Yeah it did. Dude apparently hates fair trade. Which. Um. What? I thought only dictators of Third World Countries felt that way. I've even tried searching several variations of "end fair trade" to find the exact shirt, but all that shows up in the results is "high-end fair trade" and "to that end, fair trade..." et cetera. Know why? Because fair trade is awesome!

I know I'd be preaching to the choir if I went on and on here about the benefits of fair trade practices. But man. I was pretty taken aback. I can't remember the exact wording of the rest of the shirt, but it seemed to indicate he wanted people to shop locally...and that fair trade somehow prevents that from happening.

Dear stranger at the DC United game,

Most people who shop locally are the same people who buy fair trade products, and vice versa. You're attacking the wrong demographic. Maybe get a shirt about Wal-Mart. Just an idea.

LYLAS!

-Ceej

No comments: