Tuesday, January 17, 2012

baby you can drive my car

 
We joined a rock climbing gym last night! Oh, man. OH MAN. It is the funnest. I went rock climbing once in high school, and was HORRIBLE (legs shaking halfway up the wall, paralyzed by fear, horrible). The Foliage went once around the same time and I'm guessing it went better. Because the guy's ridiculous and leaps over things and runs 10 miles for fun.
 
Last week we used a LivingSocial deal we'd bought for an introductory class at Earth Treks, a local climbing gym. (Annoyingly, it's across the street from our now-old apartment, so we COULD have been walking there for the past year if we'd known about it earlier. Luckily, we didn't move far, so it's only about 5 miles from our new place.) Couple-friends of ours joined us, and one of them is a ferreal climber, so after the class we tried out different climbs at the gym.
 
And. OMG. So fun. So so so fun. So so so HARD. I did way better than I thought I would, and as soon as I woke up the next morning, one of my first thoughts was, "I gotta go climbing. Like now." And obviously The Foliage is a huge fan of anything that's physical, ESPECIALLY if bright colors are involved, so he was immediately excited about it. So talking him into a membership took little to no effort.
 
We went again last night, just the two of us. I wanted to go without friends, so the only people I knew there would have vowed and signed that they'd love me forever. Even if I got stuck on a really ridiculously easy climb.
 
As we were taking turns climbing and belaying (being the person on the ground so the climber doesn't, um, die), I was thinking about what a great couple activity it is. A physical manifestation of being 100% vulnerable to another person. And working together but separately towards a common goal. Communication and helpful feedback is imperative. And taking feedback gracefully. Luckily we worked on that last one a lot when we did the Insanity workout program last spring. I am like a professional Foliage-advice-taker now. Which is handy, because not taking things personally is not my strongest attribute.
 
We both want to improve our rock climbing abilities, but I should note that I have NO desire to climb outside. None. Whatsoever. God did not create mountains with footholds in mind. Nature does not exist for the purpose of extreme sporting. People who do that are, in my opinion, fcking NUTS and should not be allowed to be in charge of their own well-being. Even people who lead climb (which means they clip in to carabiners as they climb, instead of having the constant assurance of an overhead rope at all times) inside are mental. To me. I'm not what you'd call "brave" or "adventurous" probably.
 
But now we have to buy climbing shoes and harnesses because the rental ones are total crap (I have climbing gear opinions! OMG!). And force ourselves to make time to go. As long as that motherfcker keeps his hand on the rope.
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I foresee outdoor climbing in your future... ;)