Wednesday, January 11, 2012

rok

 
Today is Day 1 of my first Whole30. Or, I should say, it's OUR first Whole30. Because I totally wrangled my accommodating husband into doing it, too. But he's only committed to the super strict plan for the first week.
 
Here are the rules (if you don't want to click on the link). For 30 days:
-No grains (including corn)
-No legumes (including peanuts/peanut butter and ESPECIALLY soy products of any kind)
-No added sugars. The only sweeteners allowed are fruit juices.
-No dairy except clarified butter or ghee.
-No alcohol (even wine for cooking)
-No white potatoes. Because people use them too much as a crutch for the absence of grains.
-No "processed foods" (containing carageenan, MSG or sulfites)
-Caveat to legumes ban: green beans, snow peas and snap peas are OK because they are WAY more (fibrous) pod than legume
 
So that leaves us with meats (grass-fed, free-range), vegetables and fruit (avoiding GMOs), eggs, and nuts. And seeds. And cooking exclusively with olive oil, coconut oil, rendered fats and clarified butter, rather than vegetable and canola oils. Oh and of course mushrooms are allowed. Because they're the best thing ever to exist on the planet. Duh.
 
At first when I brought this up to The Foliage, he was of course a little put off. But then realized that he'd unintentionally started eating more along the lines of paleo rules anyway, because that's how I had been eating/cooking/stocking the kitchen. And that even when he went out to eat, he trended towards paleo-approved foods. But he's still not as convinced about the whole thing as I am, which is understandable, so I'm SO grateful that he's even committed to 7 days of depriving himself of gummy candies.
 
Here's why I'm convinced: I've spent a LOT of time over the past several years reading up on different diets, not for weight loss, but for maximum nutrition. I never come across the different pieces of information when I'm looking for them, they just show up in my life. And are completely unaffiliated. But they all seem to be saying the same things. Human stomachs aren't meant to digest dairy and soy and other legumes. Traditionally, responsibly raised animals provide nutritious meat and organs and bones for making healing broth. Antibiotics kill your immune system and should be completely avoided.
 
This isn't about weight loss, it's about being as healthy as possible. And when I follow paleo rules, even when I've half-assed them, I don't have upset stomachs after every single meal. Which I can't remember ever happening in my life before. Like, ever. I've been diagnosed with the illusive IBS and prescribed ineffective pills. I've become a ginger tea connoiseur. Nothing has helped my stomach the way paleo has.
 
And I do want to note that I don't think that the foods I ate growing up were bad. Just because I don't want to eat them now doesn't mean I'm upset that I ate them before. I lived in a WAY healthier house than most kids I knew. In fact, I feel like the values I was raised with are the reason I'm so drawn to this diet now.
 
So here are the snacks I packed myself today:
-2 hard boiled eggs
-1 orange
-1/4 cup mixed raw almonds and cashews
-3 large carrots, sliced
 
I also have a couple of Larabars at my desk (and I just saw this recipe which I'm pretty excited to try at home) but I doubt I'll dig into them today unless I have a serious sweet craving.
 
This also means we totally gorged last night. Founding Farmer's is...amazing. And union-owned! Awesome! Besides being an all-around responsible business, everything they make is incredible. In. Cre. Di. Ble. I think Step 1 of my life after completing the Whole 30 will be to sidle up to their bar and order a Constitution...dios mio...
 

2 comments:

pinchofthis said...

I'm so excited to hear about your whole 30 esperience! I saw you link to them on Twitter the other day and got excited.
I too, feel SO MUCH better when I'm eating like this. I don't do entirely Paleo (I eat dairy products - all full fat, organic only).

I have another bar type recipe for you. They're SO good. I'll send it to you!

emily said...

Yaaay online whole30 buddy! This is great. Oddly enough, I have actually never had any real health issues (KNOCK ON WOOD, THANKS JESUS, ETC) so for me paleo isn't really making me feel better/worse, at least not extremely. Like you said, for me it's about maximizing nutrition and being as healthy as possible, and this framework makes sense intuitively and scientifically (at least the science I understand, which is minimal, but I am trusting my sciencey spouse). Good job on day one!