Wednesday, November 7, 2012

i wish i could eat your cancer

 
Hooray Obama! Hooray not Romney! Hooray legalizing gay marriage in Maryland!!! Hooray DREAM Act in Maryland!!
 
Slightly disappointed about the gambling thing passing, but whatevs. I don't own property here. WAY TO GO, GUYS.
 
I went to bed mid-election-coverage last night, and I'm so glad I did. Guess what! Results were the same. Even though I found out in the morning. So that was nice for me.
 
Next: 2 things. First is that I'm doing a food challenge thing, NoCoPoMo (November: C[r]ockpot Month), and attempting to use the crockpot at least twice per week. Second is that after MONTHS I finally went to a new acupuncturist, and she thinks that most issues I've expressed are caused by (aside from genetic predisposition) the foods I eat. And I shouldn't eat ANY uncooked/cold vegetables, or drink freezing cold water. So HAHA CROCKPOT HERE WE GO.
 
So yesterday I made ribs, using the recipe in Amy's GoogleDoc linked here. Though I substituted cayenne pepper for the jalapenos and coconut aminos for the soy sauce. And we used some long-ass kind of pork rib. I don't know what they were called, but each one was about a pound. Definitely not short ribs. My recipe ended up being:
 
3ish pounds of some kind of pork rib
Some brown sugar (I just shook some in. It felt excessive because I never use sugar. Also I hadn't used it in so long it was a BRICK of sugar and I had to use a hammer to break it up enough to get it out of the bag. The hammer tore some holes in the bag. Despair.)
Whatever I had left of a bottle of coconut aminos. Half a cup? Maybe more? About half a bottle.
.5ish cups of water
A few shakes of cayenne pepper (We got ours at Whole Foods and have heard it's spicier than other kinds)
 
Put all that shit in the pot, smeared the sauciness around on the meat, set the cooker to 10 hours on low.
 
The meat came out SO TENDER, and I really love the end bits with crevices that got a lot of the sauce crusted up on them. This version didn't come out spicy, but it also wasn't crazy sweet like I was afraid might happen. Today I brought the leftovers for lunch, along with sweet potatoes I'd roasted in cumin, coriander, etc. last week.
 
Here is a picture of it, post-toasting (I don't use microwaves - ever)(in the background, my to do list)(also I can't figure out how to rotate the picture in an email window, so...just turn your heads or something).
 
 

No comments: